- Official name: Hungary
- Area: 93 030 km2
- Population: 9 877 365
- Neighbouring countries: Austria, Slovakia, Ukraine, Romania, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia
- Official language: Hungarian
- State form: Parliamentary republic
- Capital and largest city: Budapest (population: 1 700 000)
- Other large cities: Debrecen, Miskolc, Szeged, Pécs, Győr
- Currency: Forint (HUF)
- Time zone: CET (GMT +1)
- Major rivers: River Danube (417 km), River Tisza (597 km)
- Largest lakes: Lake Balaton, Lake Velence
- Highest point above sea level: Kékes (1014 m) in the Mátra Hills
- Hungary is a member of OECD, NATO, EU and a Schengen state.
Administratively, Hungary is divided into 19 counties with the capital city of Budapest being independent of any county government.
Hungary is one of the 15 most popular tourist destinations in the world with a capital regarded as one of the most beautiful cities. Despite its relatively small size, the country is home to numerous World Heritage Sites, UNESCO Biosphere Reserves, the second largest thermal lake in the world (Lake Hévíz), the largest lake in Central Europe (Lake Balaton), and the largest natural grassland in Europe (Hortobágy).