National University of Public Service, a “University of cooperation”
The National University of Public Service (NUPS) is a unique institution situated in Budapest, the capital of Hungary.
NUPS is the key educational institute and thin-tank of the Hungarian public service, thus being responsible for the education of future personnel of public service including civilian professionals as well as military and law enforcement officers. Besides these, NUPS is the sole institution providing continuing education and executive training for practicing professionals. In this sense NUPS provides a carrier-long training and learning platform from undergraduate-level to senior and executive civil servants and by doing so offers a knowledge-based carrier-advancement development opportunity. Lecturers of NUPS are members of academia and often practicing professionals at the same time, thus students not only receive theoretical knowledge but first-hand experiences as well. In addition, to serve the needs of central and local governments, the University has developed a “comprehensive approach” enabling the later mobility and cross-carrier paths between civil, military and law enforcement services. Furthermore, NUPS not only pays attention to developing world-class education but also to creating a modern, lively, open and student-friendly environment with the most developed infrastructure.
Faculties of NUPS
- Faculty of International and European Studies
- Faculty of Law Enforcement
- Faculty of Military Sciences and Officer Training
- Faculty of Political Sciences and Public Administration
- Institute of Executive Training and Continuing Education
- Institute of Disaster Management
- Institute of National Security
- Institute for Research and Development on State and Governance
- Centre for Strategic and Defence Studies
- Doctoral School of Public Administration Sciences
- Doctoral School of Military Sciences
- Doctoral School of Military Engineering
- Doctoral School of Law Enforcement
Degree programmes offered in English
Interested students can apply directly to our university for the following degree programmes.
International Public Service Relations MA (MIPuS)
- duration of the programme is 3 semesters;
- students will be acquainted with a broad range of contemporary issues in international relations, from the phenomenon of globalization, the policy making of international organizations to international law and the law of the European Union as well as hot topics such as good governance or integrity management.
- advanced knowledge of English language (CEFR C1)
- proof of advanced knowledge of one of the UN official languages
- possess an appropriate BA/BSc degree or the verification of completing at least 180 ECTS credits in a relevant field completion of at least 30 ECTS credits in the relevant subject areas (further information on our homepage)
More information: http://en.uni-nke.hu/study/master-in-international-public-service-degree-programme
PhD in Public Administration Sciences
- provides postgraduate-level education to professionals (researchers and practitioners) working in the field public administration
- main research areas: public law and public administration, state and society, public management, state and economics, public administration in the international and European context, human resources
More information: http://en.uni-nke.hu/study/doctoral-programs/doctoral-school-of-public-administration-sciences
PhD in Military Sciences
- focuses on the questions of military science regarding the activities of the defence sphere
- wide spectrum of research fields from military history through security theories, defence administration to national security
More information: http://en.uni-nke.hu/study/doctoral-programs/doc-military-sciences
PhD in Military Engineering
- focuses on fields of research that are specifically related to the military application of engineering
- training and preparation for scientific research in various related fields ranging from basic and applied researches and development, through technology and technology-transfer to technological innovation
More information: http://en.uni-nke.hu/study/doctoral-programs/doctoral-school-of-military-engineeringb
The most common way to be an exchange student at our University is to participate in the Erasmus+ programme. This option is open for students of our Erasmus+ partner institutions inside and outside of Europe.
We also welcome CEEPUS freemover students or applicants according to other bilateral agreements with our partners.
Exchange students can choose courses from different modules, each of them including a wide selection for at least 30 ECTS credits.
- Constitutionalism-Democracy-Governance Module
- Management and ICT in Public Administration
- International Relations Module MA
- International Relations Module BA
- Military Leadership Module
- Logistics and Maintenance Module
- Aviation Module
- Law Enforcement Module
- Institute of Disaster Management
- Complementary Soft Skill Module
Erasmus Student Network
- a mentor programme with enthusiastic, open-minded and helpful mentors;
- each incoming student has a buddy guiding international students through their stay in Hungary;
- organizing a wide range of social activities and integrating incoming students to the student life of the University.
More information: www.en.uni-nke.hu/erasmus-exchange
Main languages of education
Why to choose NUPS?
- opportunity to combine theoretical knowledge with practical experiences;
- various types of lectures and seminars;
- opportunities to the develop language skills;
- an international atmosphere with summer schools, student unions, specialised research colleges, university sports club that are all open to international students as well;
- a modern, lively and student-friendly environment equipped with up-to-date technologies;
- multimedia libraries, dormitories, and free WI-FI access on campus;
- accommodation for most of its students in its dormitories that are located on campus;
- extensive support for international students through coordinators and mentors, covering academic and in everyday life issues as well;
- an outstanding student experience embedded in the vibrant life of Budapest;
- exchange programmes, professional workshops, EU career days, series of Ambassador’s Forum, Erasmus Student Network, integration parties, the fresher’s camp and the fresher’s ball, joint public service exercise and so much more!
National University of Public Service
International Relations Office
Address: 1083 Budapest, Ludovika sqr 2.
Postal address: 1441 Budapest, P.O. Box 60,
Phone: +36 1 432 9000 / 29740
General issues: email@example.com
Degree and exchange programmes: firstname.lastname@example.org
NUPS on social media